Ever have those days where you walk into your home and look around you and just see utter chaos? You don’t recognize anything around you because your life has been so crazy busy that you don’t even know what day it is? Whenever I have those moments, it’s a great reality check to stop and just breathe for a minute. The last two weeks at work have been so hectic that I haven’t been able to keep up with the little things at home like doing laundry, planning meals for dinner, playing with my dogs and I have even struggled with blogging! When all of that starts to pile up on you, plus the busy work schedule, it can make life seem a little overwhelming. That’s why I wanted to write a blog post about how to take just 15 minutes a day to stay on top of your life so you don’t end up with frazzled hair and bug eyes one day. Because let’s be honest, those dark circles under your eyes aren’t flattering on anyone.
All of these things you can do in 15 minutes to help you catch your breath.
1. MAKE YOUR BED! Just do it first thing in the morning and be done with it. It’s not fun, no one wants to start off their day by making the bed, but it helps to keep a room looking clean. Also, it starts your day off productively. So just do what your mom has always taught you and make your bed.
2. Respond to e-mails as soon as you get them. Even if you don’t have a definite answer yet to the question, just reply “I will get back to you.” It’s better than it sitting in your inbox for days before you decide to respond. Plus, it gets it off your plate!
3. At home, take your 15 minutes and clean out the nearest drawer or cabinet to you. Throw out any trash, any old stained shirts, whatever it may be. If you did this every day, your house would be organized and neat all the time!
4. Get your stuff ready for the next day, the night before. Make sure you know where your keys are, what you might wear, have your lunch packed, etc. Mornings are rushed as it is, save yourself some time! Need some outfit inspiration? I love Kendi Skeen’s blog, Kendi Everyday, to help me put together great outfits!
5. Visit 5 random (or your favorite) blogs a day. This can help spark creative juices in yourself and give you more energy to get through the rest of your day. I love these to help me get my creative juices flowing : SoulPancake and A Beautiful Mess.
6. Start just one load of laundry. It doesn’t matter if this just cleans up the dirty clothes on the floor or empties your laundry basket. Start one load so that you don’t spend an entire day later on doing laundry.
7. Take those 15 minutes and clean out a part of your closet. Having clothes in there that you never wear can be overwhelming and then you stand in your closet pulling your hair out because you can’t find anything to put on! Just get rid of it if you haven’t worn it in 6 months or more! Donate to a local Goodwill or Salvation Army or try and sell them to a local consignment shop!
8. Plan out your meals for a few days or the week! Take some of your favorite recipes or those cookbooks that never get opened and just plan away! This helps with being stressed about what is for dinner each night and saves money from those last minute $25 take out nights! Use this site to help you get started!
9. Go to Whatshouldireadnext.com and find your next book to read! It’s a great site that just has you put in a favorite author or title and spits out a list of other books that you would enjoy!
10. At the end of the day, write down a to-do list of everything you want to try and tackle tomorrow. It helps to get it all off your mind and that way you won’t forget anything tomorrow! Remember The Milk is a great site to help you if you are a techy to-do lister.
11. Take 15 minutes to call or visit someone who makes you happy. We all get so busy to stay caught up with everyone we love, however just a 15 minute phone call can help cheer you up and catch up with someone near and dear to you!
12. Ever wanted to take an anatomy/physiology class but don’t have the time to go to a local college for it? Use iTunes U to download a course you’ve always wanted to learn. Now who is the smarty pants?
13. Feeling lethargic? Take 15 minutes to jump rope, skip or even just do some jumping jacks. You’ll get your heart going and more than likely, you’ll feel more energized when you are done!
14. Take 15 minutes a day to a cleaner home: spend 15 minutes one day dusting your house or a particular room, the next day, vacuum the same area. Or, clean the bathroom sinks and the next day do the tubs. Either way, spend 15 minutes cleaning your home each day and by the end of the week, you have a clean(er) home and don’t have to spend the entire day doing it!
15. Leave your cellphone behind for a bit. Whether you are going to dinner, taking a bath, running errands – leave it behind! The temporary break from being constantly tuned in will help you relax and accomplish what you set out to do!