Summer is notoriously hard on women’s hair. The hot temperatures, constant sun and chlorine wreak havoc on our locks. Since I am trying to grow my hair out as much as possible before our wedding, I am taking extra precautions this summer to make sure I treat my hair with some additional TLC! Here are some great tips to keep your hair in great shape through the summer.
1. Use a deep conditioner treatment once a week. Using coconut oil on your hair in the shower is a great option. Before bed, slather it on after your normal shampoo and conditioner routine in the shower, once out of the shower, massage the oil really well into your scalp and roots, then wrap in a cloth that will be comfortable to sleep in. In the morning, rinse it out! If you aren’t sold by the coconut oil, Garnier Fructis makes a great one for only $7.79 at drugstores!
2. Try using a wide-brimmed hat when you know you will be in the sun for a long period of time. This will not only protect your hair from the harsh sun, but also your scalp from getting burned!
3. Keep up your regular trims during the summer. This will help your hair stay healthy and not be weighed down.
4. Try to reduce the use of hairdryers, straighteners and curling irons on your locks. During the summer, your hair is exposed to enough heat and humidity as it is!
5. Keep your shampooing routine to a minimum if possible during the week. If you can go 2-3 days without shampooing your hair, the better your hair will look. If you just can’t stand the idea of not washing your hair every day, try to at least skip the shampoo and put conditioner on your ends then rinse. Dry shampoo is your best friend! Also, wearing your hair up is a great disguise for not freshly washed locks. I have posted some of my favorite summer do’s below!
1. I just adore braids. This side braid into a low bun is great low-key look for the beach!
2. This up-do is perfect for a day at work or a night out! Love the Grecian-look to it!
3. I adore this trend of lacey and sparkly headbands! It automatically dresses up any messy bun!
4. This low side braid/bun is great for shorter hair styles!
5. Another beautiful side braid. Can you tell I LOVE braids?
6. I had to throw a beachy, wave look into the mix. Plus, this ombre is just stunning.
7. For a day running errands or going to a farmer’s market, why not tie a pretty scarf into your hair for a laid-back look?
8. Another simple, but sweet, low ponytail.
9. I just love this idea of making a headband out of fun yarn. Just wrap it around your head where you want it, then weave it through your ponytail and turn up into a bun! Voila!